[Amps] SB220 transformer

DAVE WHITE mausoptik at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 20 15:27:22 PST 2009

Hi all

Well when I spoke of the amp that G0DBE has had on loan from me for a while, extolling its virtues and saying how reliable it was....

....I GAVE IT THE KISS OF DEATH!

Just how can praising a piece of equipment that's been reliable for 30 years cause it suddenly to fail?  Is it the same jinx that causes good amps to suddenly burst into flames at 0001z on a Friday night at the first utterence of the Phrase "CQ CONTEST"?  I think we should be told.

Anyway, it appears that the HT transformer is knackered, taking the plate blocking capacitor with it - and who knows what else.  I'll rebuild it at some point soon.  In the meantime I need to get a transformer....

Does anyone happen to have the spec and dimensions of the Heath SB220 transformer to hand?  I'll get one ordered from TEC in Basildon who I'm sure will build me a transformer that'll last another 30 years.

Anyone got any idea what typically precipitates these failures?  I don't know the exact sequence of events since the amp's been out on loan for about 10 years or more.

cheers

Dave G0OIL