[Amps] Digital read out

Radio WC6W wc6w_amps at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 11:12:16 PST 2009

Hi John,
   I've done some of that.

  For roller coils and vacuum caps, I use 2K-10K ten turn pots (Bourns, Helitrim, Spectrol) with 1/4" shafts.

  You can just count the turns on a roller coil to judge the correct ratio.  A 2.5 to 1 ratio will accomodate most vacuum caps.

  I've used both 48 and 72 pitch, brass, aluminum and plastic gears.  The absoulute gear sizes are chosen to provide a typcial 1.5" clearance between the shafts.  Providing a small adjustment of the pot mount allows precise meshing of the gears.

  For readout, I use Microchip PIC's with a 10 bit A/D converter.  Their A/D includes a multiplexer to accomodate several pots. Ten bit resolution conveniently covers a 0-999 digital readout range.  No precison reference is required as the potentiometer setting is just read as a ratio of the supply voltage.

  Three conductor shielded cable is used to connect the pot to the PIC and the pot wiper lead is bypassed at both ends of the cable.  The shield is only connected to frame ground;  No connection is made to the pot leads.

73 & Good morning,
   Marv WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/