[Amps] Open Reply to Steve Cook

Jeff Weinberg W8CQ w8cqjeff at verizon.net
Fri Feb 27 19:34:26 PST 2009

Hi Everyone,
I am not going to drag this out.  I will make one reply to Steve's
comments and leave it at that.  He is telling his side and I will tell mine.

I tried to help Steve with a custom design using some of Pete's old
designs for similar units.  In order to get the voltage and current
ratings he wanted, an A-0550 core was called for.  This particular core
is made by Magnetic Metals and their product code is MS-314B.  The price
on a pair of those cores alone is over $1600 and with the freight
charge, the cost of cores alone is almost $2000 (weight just shy of 175
lbs shipped from California to the east coast brings the core cost to
almost $2000).

Pete's old design used this core.  I had assumed that the current price
of that core would be similar to the old price of almost 5 years ago.  I
was wrong in my initial estimate of the core cost.  I tried to make a
design that would meet Steve's requirements, but I could not do it based
on current core pricing.

I don't know what else to do.  He told me that someone else could make
the transformer for $2400 or $2500, so I politely told him he should buy
it from them.

Keep in mind, I went though about at least 8 hours of design changes and
iterations to try to make Steve happy at no cost to Steve, but I could
not do it.  I could not match someone other manufacturer's price and
that should have been the end of it.

I guess Steve has to vent his frustration and that is his right.  I just
wanted to tell my side also.

By the way for Carl KM1H, who do you think helped me with the design of
this unit?  Chris, from MagCap, my business partner.  There you go!

Jeff  W8CQ