[Amps] Tetrode Boards Grounding Scheme

Dugas, Jason A. (JSC-EP) Jason.A.Dugas at nasa.gov
Tue Jan 6 13:28:10 EST 2009

I am constructing an amplifier and am using the Tetrode boards to run the power supplies.  I had a question concerning the grounding scheme:

The ground potential for each of the boards is tied to the chassis of my power supply (per your instruction) using 20AWG wire or so.  Most of the signals that come out of the power supply (such as the high voltage supply (HV Enable 12V), ALC, PTT, G1, G2, etc) are all referenced to this ground chassis return.

My question is, "What precautions, if any, should I take against ground loops and/or voltage drops in the return wiring between the boards and chassis and the power supply unit and each respective load?"

For instance, depending on the current level, there will be some finite voltage drop in the return leg which will cause ground not to be exactly 0V.  Obviously this is practically true in all circumstances, but at what level should I be concerned?

The reason I ask is that I am doing pinouts for a circular military connector that will bring out all the various signals (referenced above, previously) for distribution to the HV supply, amplifier, and transceiver.  In doing so I noticed that I will have many pins connected to "CHASSIS GROUND" but potentially only one wire coming from CHASSIS GROUND to the connector, internal to the power supply.

Thanks,

Jason
KB5URQ