[Amps] Tetrode Boards Grounding Scheme

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jan 8 14:12:08 EST 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:28:10 -0600, Dugas, Jason A. (JSC-EP) wrote:

>In doing so I noticed that I will have many pins connected to
>"CHASSIS GROUND" but potentially only one wire coming from CHASSIS
>GROUND to the connector, internal to the power supply.

In most interconnect wiring, the concern is NOT IR drop (or IZ drop)
for the signal, but rather for NOISE current induced onto signal
wiring. In general, the signal is a voltage from a low Z source
working into a high-Z load, so there's usually very little signal
current. The correct analysis, then, is based on asking, "Where does
the NOISE current want to flow?" In general, most NOISE current on
external wiring is trying to return to the power system green wire
(the chassis). This is also where most RF noise induced on external
wiring is trying to go.

Thus, the best termination point for the shields of external wiring
is the chassis. If shields of external wiring comes inside the box,
current on the shield still wants to get to the chassis, so it
creates an IZ drop (remember that XL is nearly always greater than R)
in the wiring between wherever it hits signal common and the chassis.
This IZ drop is introduced at various points in the signal flow and
can cause grief at various points in the circuit, depending on PCB
layout. You can read more about this on my website. Click the links
about "the pin 1 problem" or the link for RFI for Hams.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish

Bottom line -- a star connection to the chassis can be very good
scheme for connection of signal returns. Note that I didn't say
"grounding," because this has nothing to do with the EARTH. :)

73,

Jim Brown K9YC