[Amps] Amps comparison

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:43:32 EST 2009

At the risk of raising the hackles of the amp experts I'll weigh in
with heretical advice:  Buy neither and save some more money and go
with a new amp from Ameritron.   In the long run you'll be glad.  An
amp when properly cared for, will last a loooong time, decades even,
so it's not like a PC or some high tech rig that goes out of date in a
few years.   You may as well spend some $$$ and do it right to begin
with.   I never liked Dentrons mainly because I don't like the way
they crammed as many components in as small a cabinet as possible.   I
never really understood that.  As for the 922, it always had a high
voltage supply that was pretty wimpy as I recall (on a par with the
stock supply in the ten tec Centurion).   Or, you could spend a few
hundred dollars more and look for a used AL80B.   You can get a nice
one for $800 if you are patient.   You probably can't afford it but in
my opinion, one of the best values out there right now is the AL82
with I think, 3.6 Kv on the plates and selling for far less than other
legal limit amps.  But back to the 80B, that amp will probably put out
just as many watts as the 922 but with one 3-500 and less drive and it
will work with modern rigs and cover all of HF and 160.  But If you
can get a good 922 dirt cheap and your friend can really fix it
up.....it's up to you.

73

rob / k5uj