[Amps] Hi-G d'Italia relays

Steve Flood kk7uv at bresnan.net
Tue Jan 20 06:17:09 EST 2009

N4ZR wrote...

>you and others might want to look into the small HiG d'Italia
>RF-switching relays that Allen Bond sells at mgs4u.com on the President's
>Page.  They are rated 75 watts RF hot switching and I've used them for
>years on the input side of my SB-220.  They are tiny too - the only rub is
>that they are 26.5 VDC.  See

I bought a couple of these to try out.  I was preparing one for mounting in the amp and found the attached coax was a little too short so needs to be replaced.  I've attempted to disconnect the coax from the relay but all three lenghs of coax (COM, NC, NO) are attached via the same shield connector that has three solder connections to the relay.  I've tried heating all three solder joints at once with a butane torch, but the relay gets mighty hot and I think I may damage it. Any suggestions?

Also, are these considered "reed" relays?

Thanks,
Steve KK7UV