[Amps] 4-250a

JamesHorne hornej at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 22 14:54:48 EST 2009

Hello:

Presently using a pair of 4-250a in hb linear.   have two questions about these tubes.

1..  I understand that the 4-250a and 4-400 are identical electrically, and differ only in the dissipation rating of the anode.   Indeed if I place the two graphs of the constant current characteristics one on top of the other,   there is no difference.

Given that this is so,   then I instictively think that if the two are driven to their respective max dissipation limits,   and under the same operating conditions, then the 4-250a would be operating well within it's saturation limits,  and incurr no loss of linearity if overdriven a bit.  Is this correct?

2.  Presently  operating the 4-250a pair with anode voltage of 2400V.   Trying to decide if it is worthwhile increasing anode voltage to about 3400 V, and dropping current, for same power input.  Instinct once again suggests to me that higner voltage/lower current leads to better linearity over lower voltage/higher current.  Your thoughts on this welcome.

Regards

James   VE5OB