[Amps] Alpha 77Dx Filament

N7SC n7sc at charter.net
Thu Jan 22 18:38:57 EST 2009

Hi Paul...
One benefit of isolating the filament circuit and adding the choke is
that you can connect the cathode to the filament and use  most tubes
that have shorts between those two elements. Also, there is less of a
possibility  of damaging the filament windings with that type of short.
That much voltage on the filament is real trouble and really shortens
tube life. If your original issue turns out to be a filament/cathode
short...that would likely be the cause. I run my 8877's a bit under
5vac....I just adjust it a little above the voltage where tube emission
starts to drop. Most of my 8877's are at least 20yrs old and still have
full output...even on 144mhz.
Steve

Paul Christensen wrote:
Just thought about another possibility...

If I add an RF Parts bifilar filament choke to the 77Dx, there may be
just enough series IR loss in the choke to get the 8877 back into the
specified filament operating range of 5.0V (+/- 0.25V).