[Amps] Crydom Solid State Relays

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Wed Jan 28 21:54:01 EST 2009

Bob Maser wrote:
> The power supply of my new amplifier will be using 3 40A Crydom SSR relays,
> One on each leg of the 240VAC and another in one leg to short out the step
> start resistor.  I have been planning on using the SSR's w/o any resistors
> or capacitors across the control connections but I have been advised that I
> should put resistors and capacitors across the control connectors to prevent
> RF from affecting the SSR function and possibly causing "chatter".   I would
> appreciate some feedback from the group.  I don't believe that Jerry
> Pittenger K8RA used anything in the 3CX1500D7 amp that was featured in the
> 2006 ARRL Handbook.

I used a solid-state relay in the primary of an 800-watt amplifier. When I operated on
80/160 with an inverted L antenna that put a reasonable amount of RF into the shack, I
found that the relays were partially opening.

I had to filter both the control circuit and the primary circuit (I wrapped some no. 10
around a 2.4 inch toroid). I also bypassed both circuits with 0.01 uf capacitors to
ground. This solved the problem.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco