[Amps] 8874?

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Jul 1 12:57:09 PDT 2009

Fortra wrote:
> Roger,
>
> i would not bet 100 %, but as i recalled, Heathkit never made an amp
> with PAIR of 8873's. Yes they did one model, SB-230 with a single 8873.

Some where out there is an SB230 with two 8873s. I had one. <:-)) Of
course some one could have just added a second tube, but it looked like
it belonged there.  OTOH I also had a solid state, 101 transceiver that
was beige or brown that was a one of a kind as far as I know. The
cabinet still used the rounded corners, but with a much smaller radius
than the conventional 101 series. It worked "OK", but was nothing
special as most prototypes aren't. It was digital read out and had a
remote digital read out VFR for running split either way, or transceive
on either. I should say it was supposed to as I never did get the remote
VFO to work.  About the time Heath closed their doors there were a
number of odd, one-of-a-kind rigs that turned up.

73

Roger (K8RI)