[Amps] AL1200/RTTY

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 11:51:01 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 18:17:57 +0000, RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz at q.com> wrote:

>I can't think of any reason I should buy one of those $4-5K Amps, what do they
>
>do that the AL-1200 won't !!

REPLY:

If you're happy with the AL-1200, stay with it. When run conservatively as you
do, it is a great amp. I especially miss the fast warm up. My current homebrew
amp takes 90 seconds, an eternity whey Yemen is calling CQ with no takers. :-)

To answer your question, the more expensive amps (especially Alphas) will run
brick-on-the-key at 1500 out all day forever and they only need about half the
drive to do it. Whether that is important is a highly personal decision.

73, Bill W6WRT