[Amps] Tube choice for SB-200 on 6 meters

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sat Jul 11 12:33:44 PDT 2009

As designed in the 60's its a 1 KW INPUT amp with roughly 600W expected
output.

Original somewhat leaky filter caps and their equalizing resistors put extra
load on the transformer.

Harbach sells a new fan with a higher speed motor and a new PS board kit
thats a bargain.

Once a properly converted amp is tuned up at 50.2 there is no need to touch
it again when operating 50.0 to 50.4 unless tubes or antenna are changed.
Some people take forever to tune and are always messing with it. WRONG!

Ive run a 200 for a typical weekend in contests or 3-5 hours straight on CW
during DX openings at 700W out. For digi modes keep it down around 450-500W
and give it a break once in awhile. Reduce power ONLY by reducing drive;
dont mess with the Load control.

Its no different than running most amps in digi modes at full bore on HF;
some just wont take it. And that includes some Alpha's.

Over the decades Ive noticed that most hams dont know how to tune and use
any amp.

Carl
KM1H