[Amps] Tube choice for SB-200 on 6 meters

Jeff Blaine AC0C keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 12 14:09:00 PDT 2009

Larry,

I don't want to dispute Carl's experience in the 572b 6m conversion
category.  But I cay say that if you are interested in digimodes or RTTY,
the 572b is going to be one seriously suffering set of birds.  I think I
have 6 in a box below my desk sacrificed to the gods in a test to see how
they would hold up...

The problem with the conversion using the SB200 is not the transformer per
se, it's a real workhorse.  It's the voltage.  Loaded it runs around 2100w
and that will get you up to about 700-800w at max grid drive into a pair of
GI7b under rtty service.  If you have enough cooling.  Depending on the
frequency (and a lot of other things), the net efficiency will be in the
45-63% range.  Which is a pretty large amount of plate disipation in RTTY
service hence the need for 2x.  For CW or SSB, a single GI7B is a FB match.
It has about 350w plate disipation vs. 160w ea for the 572b.

If you would like to take a look at a SB200 using 2xGI7B with RTTY service
in mind, you may like to check out the presentation link on my qrz web page.
There is quite a lengthy presentation there that goes into great detail the
various mods.  Hope it helps.

73/jeff/ac0c