[Amps] Ameritron AL-80B power output meter problem

Jose V. Gavila eb5agv at amsat.org
Sat Jul 18 12:04:07 PDT 2009

Hello all,

I am trying to fix an AL-80B amplifier which has a problem with the
FWD POWER meter. The meter itself is fine (it moves freely end to
end), but when transmitting, maximum power it shows is about 500W,
regardless of real power output (which goes higher, as checked with
my trusty Bird 43)

It is as if the scale had a compression in the upper side. Internal
amplifier adjustment pot does very little regarding the 500W max
indication. I suspect of the operational amplifier (LM324) which
manages that meter but, as access to it is a bit difficult, I would
like to have some more clues before dismantling the unit. Any hint :-)?

Best regards,

JOSE
  73 EB5AGV - JOSE V. GAVILA
     IM99sm La Canyada - Valencia (SPAIN)