[Amps] Grounded Grid (Screen) 4CX250B power gain

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Jul 21 12:27:30 PDT 2009

> Hopefully, one or more of the adaptive pre-distortion
> techniques being used are not subject to patent protection
> and associated licensing fees.  It would be a great time to
> incorporate this technology into all new SSB exciters.

I seriously doubt that adaptive predistortion is covered by
any enforceable patent and it is certainly not limited to
digital modulation.

Phillips, Marconi and others, used predistortion with analog
NTSC exciters more than 25 years ago.  I fondly remember
adjusting the predistortion on UHF transmitters to minimize
(cancel) the regenerated lower sideband and other IMD like
products in the pulsed power amplifiers.

In those days the predistortion was not adaptive ... it had
to be adjusted manually as the finals aged and the operating
point shifted.  However, adaptive controls are much easier
to implement with digital systems ...  since the data should
always fall within limits of the ideal locations in the
"constellation."  It is far easier to implement correction
algorithms with discrete as opposed to analog values.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV