[Amps] inexpensive HV fuse

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Jul 22 18:00:22 PDT 2009

Carl wrote:
> Of course you could always employ the method detailed by John Lyles about
> instantaneously (almost) dumping the capacitor bank in a 500KW amp!

Get someone to stand next to it, that has never had the honor of seeing
how fast a crowbar can work.<:-))
Of course the Varistor route is also spectacular when dumping 50,000
joules off a 480 primary that had the switching get out of sequence
under load. Nothing left but the backing plate and two #6 wires standing
straight out. If the supplies on either side of  you were working,  you
always made sure they were not about to do any switching while you were
in there. Those transformers were taller than I am and I've forgotten
how many tones they weighed.  When using smaller rated GMOVs they need
to be contained in a compartment or in some manner to keep the pieces
contained.

73

Roger (K8RI)