[Amps] grounding grids

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Jul 29 09:22:22 PDT 2009

> This was used on newer tubes (3-500Z - ect) to raise the
> resonance of the grid to control parasitics.

The grid resonance of the 3-500Z and similar tubes has been
measured well above 100 MHz.  There is no need to "float" the
grid.  In fact, floating the grid will lower the grid resonance
by increasing the amount of inductance in the grid lead.

The floated grid was misguided attempt by Orr to introduce
some degeneration (negative feedback) to improve IMD.  Since
the level of degeneration was based on the Xc of the "bypass"
capacitors, it varies greatly from band to band and is
ineffective for that purpose.

In addition, the bypass capacitors introduce a parallel
resonance in the grid circuit at UHF which converts the
nominally stable grounded grid amplifier into a TPTG
oscillator.  One need only look at tubes like the 8874,
8877, etc. with very high VHF amplification factors to
see how difficult they are to tame if there is any
impedance in the grid circuit.

While the 3-500Z and other older glass tubes don't have
as much gain as the newer external anode tubes, the
principle is the same.  If there is enough gain and the
feedback is of the correct phase the tube will oscillate.
Placing any impedance in the "grounded" grid of a common
grid circuit increases - not decreases - the chances of
oscillation.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV