[Amps] Dummy Load "Oil"

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Wed Jul 29 15:02:11 PDT 2009

I the days when I was something like 15 I also needed a gallon of
xmfr oil for my home made version of the Heathkit Cantenna.
Maybe it was growing up in an era of barter or close to
a big city of Philly, or easier times I don't know.

There was a PGE yard within a bicycle distance I can no longer
remember, so one summer day I and my empty gallon paint can
peddled up to, and into the yard and I asked the first person
I came to. He mumbled something and pointed to someone near a
shed, I peddled over and next thing I knew I had about 5 quarts
of xfmr oil, the 5th quart covered the can, my hand holding it
and drained into the gravel under the valve. He didnt seem in
too much of a hurry to shut the valve off, handed me a rag then
sent me on my way home.

Many years later that yard became a EPA site due to the large
concentration of PCB laced oil under it ...

Maybe harder now days with bean counters, and you a potential
terrorist building a bomb but it would still be worth the try.

-pete