[Amps] Fw: Dummy Load "Oil"

James jgroover6 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 29 19:20:28 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry at arrl.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:22 PM
Subject: [Amps] Fw: Dummy Load "Oil"

Get the MFJ or Ameritron transformer oil...it's made for the purpose.  There
was a guy on Ebay selling paint cans of the Shell brand transformer oil for
something like $15 a gallon.

I have heard of using mineral oil everyone seemed to think it worked
alright.  I have read to be wary of automotive oils, they can give off fumes
when heated...not good in an enclosed space.

I'd go with the MFJ, you know then that you have the right stuff with no
PCB's or detergents and the best heat conductivity and tolerance.-Jim KB4RMN