[Amps] [Spam] Re: grounding grids

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Jul 29 22:12:25 PDT 2009

> Perhaps resistors or inductors are sacrificial components to
> protect the control grid in case the tube arcs over.

That is not the reason Heath gave for the design. Simply
opening the grid lead does not and will not protect the
grid as a HV arc can and will damage (puncture) the grid
and continue on to the cathode.  Such events are well
documented.

> I seem to recall placing EIMAC suggest placing a resistor
> in series with the HV to the RF choke of an amplifier.

Eimac (and other tube manufacturers) have been consistent in
their recommendation for current limiting "glitch resistors"
- *NOT* fusible or sacrificial devices - to limit any fault
current to approximately five times normal operating values.
In circuits with higher voltages (and thus more stored energy)
the tube manufacturers also recommend "crowbar" circuits along
with fast acting primary power interrupters to prevent damage
from arcs.  In no case should the secondary of the power supply
become open circuit or unloaded in the event of an arc.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV