[Amps] Cleaning Cigarette tar....?

Dave white mausoptik at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 31 22:39:09 PDT 2009

I've used automotive brake cleaner to good effect. Also cellulose or xylene thinners would work.

I bought an SB220 some years ago that looked like it was gold anodised inside and instantly filled the room with the smell of pipe tobacco whenever it was switched on.  The tank coils were chocolate brown and the tubes were yellow like the headlamps on old-fashioned Citroen cars.  The resistors were all brown-coloured with brown bands (surely they weren't ALL 22R??) and the wires were all brown.....all held together with sticky brown dust.  The thing worked...and still does....but no wonder the owner was an SK

I can't remember what I cleaned it out with, but suspect that it was alcohol based.

Cheers
Dave G0OIL