[Amps] Checking relay timing with a scope

Manfred Mornhinweg mmornhin at gmx.net
Sun Jun 21 19:35:35 PDT 2009

Hi Pete, and all,

I'm not sure if my advice is welcome at all, given that you want to do
something useful with your new scope. But for measuring the closure time
of a relay, or any other such slow one-time phenomenom, I wouldn't use
an oscilloscope (unless it has memory). Instead, for this kind of test I
use my computer's sound card.

The system is quite simple: Wire up the relay as already suggested by
other forum members, but to the soundcard input instead of the scope.
You can wire the coil to one channel and the contact to the other
channel, and you can connect the contact with a resistor network so that
you get three different voltage levels for one position, the other
position, and in between while the contact reed is travelling.

Then you use any sound recording and editing software. You set it to
record, then you activate the relay, maybe just on and off again, or
perhaps a few times, to see if the timings are repetitive. Then you stop
the recording, and look at the waveforms recorded. Sound editing
software usually makes it easy to precisely measure the time between any
features you want on those oscillograms! And you can take all the time
you want for it.

A sound card cannot record DC levels, but that's no problem. A switched
DC that's connected to the soundcard will register as a positive pulse
when it's switched on, and a negative pulse when it's switched off. And
that's all you need to precisely measure the times.

I also use the soundcard for non-radio things such as measuring the
exposure time and shutter curtain travel time of photo cameras. In that
case I use two photodiodes wired to the soundcard inputs.

Manfred.