[Amps] "Big Iron" transformer source in UK?

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Mar 1 03:05:09 PST 2009

Alex Eban wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but I was under the impression that we, as hams, are
> entitled to a maximum of 1500W input power; maybe 2000W or so in the States.
> What is all the talk on the monster transformers doing here on a ham related
> forum?
> Alex	4Z5KS

Well, just doing some fast math, running 1500 out on CW or better yet,
digital where the duty cycle approaches 100% for a few minutes with 60%
efficency GG the the transformer needs to be capable of 2500 watts CAS
with no head room. I'd want 3 KVA CCS for comfort.    If running a
tetrode AB1  we're getting closer to 3 KW (or more)CAS or preferably 3.5
to 4 KVA CCS neglecting other losses.  Most commercial ham amps run the
minimal amount of iron.

Were I to build and I may do so (I'd sure like to and I can still
dream), a GU84B which I believe is the equivalent of a 4CX-2500, I'd
certainly want to run it as linear as possible.  I'd be willing to
settle for a 3 KVA transformer to keep it compact and I don't normally
run digital.  OTOH I could use the same tube for six and two meters.
The thought of running one on two FM has crossed my evil mind, and I
tell the local guys my Henry 2002A is for packet <:-)), but I have an
aversion to splinters and feathers while I'm allergic to tar.  Most know
I'm not serious, but the occasional outsider can get kinda feisty.  OTOH
I'm not against running the legal limit on two-meters FM simplex. I'd
add a second 3CX-800 to the 2002A, but it doesn't have the power supply
to support it, nor am I sure how to modify the tuned circuit to handle
two tubes.  I'm also limited by legal exposure levels even with the
antenna array at 130'. to 380 watts into the antennas at 100% duty
cycle.  OTOH if I go to normal operation at 3 minutes on, 6 minutes off
it's 33% or 495 watts into the antennas. SSB which is 20% of that duty
cycle raises the power int he array to well over the legal limit for
exposure level limits.   160 through six-meters is limited only by the
legal limit even at 100 % duty cycle and that is with the big 7L C3i at
115 feet.

At any rate a 3 to 4 KVA transformer is not at all out of line for a
legal limit amp (1500 out) if it is going to be running heavy duty
digital or contesting although I doubt most commercial amps will come
near that.

73

Roger (K8RI)