[Amps] HV Divider, Problem Solved

KB0NLY kb0nly at mchsi.com
Sun Mar 1 12:15:24 PST 2009

Well i don't know how this amp was working before i started the modifications but i pulled the resistor from B- to chassis ground, at an AMPS member suggestion, to measure it, it was open!  So i grabbed an new wirewound vitreous resistor out of the drawer and put it into place and it now works perfectly and i have 11.68v off the divider.

I'm not totally clear on the math here though, so if someone wanted to comment here is my remaining question..

I have 10 1M ohm resistors in series, so 10,000,000 ohms, and i have 11.68v off the divider.  How do i reverse the math to determine the value of the high voltage knowing the output of the divider?  See what i'm saying?  I know what i measured before using the HV meter, and i know what i have after the divider, just wanted to see if they match up.

I have a level that will work with the board now, but i want to understand it better.

Thanks and 73,

Scott KBØNLY