[Amps] SWR & other things...

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Mar 3 06:42:32 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger" <sub1 at rogerhalstead.com>
To: "Carl" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com>
Cc: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 2:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Amps] SWR & other things...

> Carl wrote:
>> Tuners are generally a waste of money and power (you didnt think they
>> are 100% efficient?) for coax feedlines.
> What! They're not? Must be politicians selling them<:-))
>
> Seriously though, I'd love to have autotuners mounted at the feed
> points, but that's a bit impractical for a bunch of center fed, half
> wave slopers. OTOH it'd work great for my half sloper on 160. Of
> course when it comes to servicing a remote mounted tuner at the top of
> a 100' tower there are a few problems not to mention the reliability
> issue.

There was a 100' long wire strung between towers here for several years
with an SGC tuner at one end and a IC-706 down in an equipment trailer.
It was used as a remote base by a friend. Never a problem with any of
the gear.

I dont need any tuners for any HF antenna and with 4 towers that adds up
to more than a few. The CATV hardline minimizes loss to the ignored
category, even on a 450' run.

Carl
KM1H

SNIP