[Amps] caps across rectifier diodes

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Tue Mar 3 07:37:25 PST 2009

I sure agree with that.  I use high quality avalanche rectifiers and never use capacitors across them.

We built the HV rectifier for the targeting RADAR systems for the Patriot and Patriot II missiles for many years and the silly Army spec included capacitors across the rectifiers.  They served no purpose whatever except to add cost and reduce reliability, so we called the assembly a "rectifier compensated capacitor stack."  In the field, the only things that ever failed, out of more than 30,000 assemblies shipped, were the capacitors themselves.  The MTBF of the rectifiers was essentially infinity, but the assembly MTBF was much smaller due to the capacitors.

Silly stuff.

WB2WIK/6