[Amps] caps across rectifier diodes

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Mar 3 12:03:57 PST 2009

That is only one persons OPINION and is in no way a complete
explanation.

A capacitor across a single diode will snub the spikes if they actually
exist. A cap across each diode of a string will do nothing except hasten
a possible failure in a marginal string.

Learned PS engineers suggest that with some diodes that a .001 to .01 be
placed across the complete string and with another to ground at their
output to the filter. Different diodes require a different cap value.
>From what Ive read the 1N5408 isnt a candidate unless it is defective.
For years cheap hams have been buying hamfest bargain diodes that are
often reject floor sweepings.  The statement offered earlier about using
diodes from the same batch is most valid.

Later today I will test 6 different amps in standby and with keyed idle
current using a 300 mHz Tek scope with HV probe and report back.

In the past I have looked at many amps and PS with that setup with the
goal of eliminating RF getting to the electrolytics and causing
premature failure. Something that Ameritrons and Dentrons have in
common. I have not noticed any diode noise but that doesnt mean it wasnt
there.

Old technology diodes and mercury vapor rectifiers are well documented
as hash producers.

I suggest that anyone else with similar testing equipment do the same.

Carl
KM1H