[Amps] SWR & other things...

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 20:38:16 PST 2009

The MFJ 998 is a real workhorse in my application.  I use it with
resonant anteannas to allow off-resonance operation and have it located
pretty close to the antenna so most of my coax run is into a flat line.

The amount of L/C invoked by the ATU is typically not that much (except
on 160m where I'm loading up a 80m dipole).  Specs are supposed to be
1500w cw/ssb and 800w digital/rtty.  But I've run 1100w run-mode RTTY a
few weekends and it's not smoked yet.  The L's are made from T225 or
T200 cores, some of them doubled up.

MFJ is not giving them away, however.  Once a guy goes to an automatic
tuner, he will never crank the dial again.  That is some really FB
technology...

73/jeff/ac0c