[Amps] AL-1200/1500 question

Chuck & Vicki Tifft cftifft at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 5 12:10:27 PST 2009

Step start delay is pretty typically in the .25 to .5 second range.
Depends on things like the series resistor value and the total value of
the filter cap. But generally milliseconds rather seconds will do the
job.. I have  some amps, like an LK-450 presently,  where the delay is
barely if at all ,detectable and probably too short.But it has a lighter
duty transformer, and since I don't hear the transformer core going thud
every time I turn it on, it's probably OK,  If the step relay contacts
are welding, then delay appears to be too short as too much surge
current is still being drawn. I like to design my amps with about .5
seconds. In broadcast most everything we had  was set for .5 or 1
second. More is better than less as long as your resistors are up to the
task. I like to use 25 ohm 25 watt in my own amps. For you guys building
the really big stuff, I have some 5 and 10 ohm 300 watt monsters
available.They are left over from an old 55 KW TTU.
Chuck
W6RD