[Amps] An Extra Thank You!

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Mar 5 14:06:46 PST 2009

Jeff Carter wrote:
> Congratulations!  It's such a rush to work on something like that and
> see it work when you're done.
>
> To answer your questions, I have to say it's been a while, and I'm
> sure AMPS will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but here's how I
> *think* I remember that this is done.
>
> For gain in dB, I think it's 10*log(power out/power in).  So in your
> case, it's 10*log(450/20), or 10* log(22.5)= 13.5218251811 db.
>
> For efficiency, it's basically how much of the power is used and how
> much is turned into heat, and I can't for the life of me remember how
> that's calculated.

IIRC For efficiency it's pretty straight forward it's power out divided
by power in (not drive) IOW in this case for GG it's Plate current Ip
(0.375 * multiplied by plate voltage. I don't remember what you are
using for voltage, but as n example if the plate is 2200 then
0.375A*2000V=750 Watts input power plus 20 watts of drive for 770  watts
input  or 450/770 = 58% overall efficiency for the amp.  The tube
efficiency would be 450/750 or 60%

73

Roger (K8RI)