[Amps] measuring bandpass of a power amp with an NA

Dan Sawyer dansawyer at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 8 13:05:20 PDT 2009

I have a couple solid state RF power amps to test. One question is: What
is their bandpass? I connected a network analyser drive to the output
and then took the NA input of the collectors. Accounting for the
impedance mismatch, this worked quite well, the amps showed good
bandpass characteristics across the 2 to 30 MHz HF range.

I then connected the NA drive to the amps input and took the NA input at
the transistor bases. This did not work at all, the NA showed close to a
30 db loss across the range. What am I missing here? It would seem there
should be at lease a discernible signal characteristic by this method.

Thanks - Dan