[Amps] Choosing a Plate Transformer

KB0NLY kb0nly at mchsi.com
Tue Mar 10 08:30:23 PDT 2009

I'm thinking about slowly scrounging parts to build another amp in the future, it will be a ways off so in no hurry, and i was wondering how one chooses a plate transformer.

I know the minimum i'm shooting for, 2500v 600mA.  This will be to run a single GI7B.

I was thinking about using those Far Circuit boards for constructing the doubler and rectifier.  It looks like the average factor is 2.8.  Which means for 2500v i would need a transformer with a secondary of at least 893 volts (rounded up).  But what should i do on the current capacity side, should i look for something as high as a 1 amp transformer?  Most of the ones i am finding on eBay for example are 500mA or smaller.  I could probably get away with .500 mA.

The question is, does one loose ampacity with the double circuit, or does the current remain constant?  I can't seem to find any notes in the handbook articles on the subject of choosing a transformer.  This is why the last amp i built i used a donor FL-2100B so i wouldn't have all the questions on constructing the power supply.  But the next time around i want to build the power supply from scratch and learn more about HV supplies!

The 6M amp i just built is working great by the way.  It will do 500w but i keep it around 400w.  I checked into a net this weekend that a nearby club holds on 6m, they were suprised how loud i was as i'm usually the most distant and sometimes one of the weekest for them to hear.

73,

Scott KBØNLY

www.kb0nly.net