[Amps] Choosing a Plate Transformer

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 10:31:42 PDT 2009

Hi Scott,

Here are some numbers to keep in mind when transformer shopping.
The full load voltage with a bridge rectifier will be 1.25 x the transformer
ac voltage. With a doubler it will be 2.5 times the transformer ac voltage.

The voltage that your filter capacitors must withstand is the no load
voltage. No load voltage will with a bridge rectifier will be 1.4 times the
transformer ac voltage. With a doubler the no load voltage will be 2.8 times
the transformer ac voltage.

The current rating of the transformer can be pushed some on ssb from the
continuous rating. But a transformer rated at 800 ma with a bridge can only
supply 400 ma with a doubler. It is a mater of total power delivered.

Easiest way to keep track of transformer power is to look at the ac voltage
and current rating. If it is say 800 volts at 1 amp that is an 800 watt
transformer. With a full wave rectifier you will get 1000 volts full load
out of it. You can draw 800 ma from it to equal the 800 watts of rated
transformer power.
With a doubler on the same transformer you will get 2000 volts at full load.
You can draw 400 ma from it to again give you 800 watts.

Newer transformers have lower resistance in the windings and have much
better voltage regulation than the old stuff with high resistance windings.

The MFJ catalogue has some very nice transformers in their catalogue that
should be just what you are looking for at reasonable prices.

73
Gary  K4FMX