[Amps] HV PS transformer

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 09:02:08 PDT 2009

GM gents,

Part of my (3cx800A7) amplifier project is to do something "new".   Well OK, it's old, but new to me.

I'm trying to reproduce the switch mode power supply outlined by Tim Hullick W9QQ (SK) in Feb 1991 QEX.   Things are fairly strait forward, but I'll throw a question to the list.

In the article Tim says:   "...The secondary winding consists of as many turns as required, looping through the pipes to provide the necessary secondary voltage.  For any high secondary voltage, Teflon (r) - insulated hookup wire should be used because of it's superior insulating properties at high voltages.   Any small gauge Teflon wire can be used as long as the required number of turns will not be too tight in the pipes.   I used standard no. 20."

Q.  So does that mean the secondary wire needs to have a minimum insulation voltage rating of the secondary voltage i.e. greater than 2200V?

I have found Teflon coated wire with that high of insulation ration, however I have doubts he could get 50 or so turns through a 3/8 id pipe.

Q.  Any ideas on what Tim might have been getting at and what suggestions for wire and sources?

BTW, parts placement is going along, what a chore to get everything to fit!

Thanks and 73,

Paul kg7hf