[Amps] Microwave Transformers?

ToddRoberts2001 at aol.com ToddRoberts2001 at aol.com
Wed Mar 11 09:12:26 PDT 2009

In a message dated 3/11/2009 3:50:21 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
g8gsq at eltac.co.uk writes:
Microwave oven transformers  can be very different one from
another, even when the original appliance had  the same nominal rating.

A lot have quite high resistance windings for  the power rating, so
will give poor regulation and run hot on continuous  load. Most
also have too few turns on the primary for continuous
energisation, and get very hot from that (in most ovens they are
fan  cooled, even though on for only short periods). You can add
extra primary  turns in the space from the heater winding and
shunts to help with this, but  that increases the resistance.
Measure some and use the Duncan Amps PSU  Designer to see what
performance they will give.

All I've toyed with  can be used with the secondary disconnected
from the frame - one out of  eight or nine needed a bit of kapton
tape for insulation on a hipot  test.

Steve

Dittos  from all I have learned about MOTs about the only thing they will
do  correctly  is run a microwave oven. They have too few turns in the
primary
so the transformer runs hot and lossy, the magnetic shunts limit  output
current
and the welds along the edges of the laminations act like a  big shorted turn,
so the transformer runs hot and lossy. The transformer  pulls several
hundred watts just idling with no load. Did I mention they run  hot and lossy?
They were built with one thing in mind - maximum  cheapness.

It is a shame because they look so tempting to use. But for  all the work
and aggravation of trying to rebuild them, grinding off the  welds across the
laminations, knocking out the magnetic shunts, possibly  adding turns to the
primary, you might be much better off to just buy some  laminations and
build your own transformer. Plus you will learn something by  building
your own transformer and it is fun!

73 Todd WD4NGG

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID