[Amps] microwave transformers

Herzog herzog at frontiernet.net
Wed Mar 11 18:06:40 PDT 2009

RE:  Dittos  from all I have learned about MOTs about the only thing
they will
do  correctly  is run a microwave oven. They have too few turns in the
primary
so the transformer runs hot and lossy, the magnetic shunts limit  output
current
and the welds along the edges of the laminations act like a  big shorted
turn,
so the transformer runs hot and lossy. The transformer  pulls several
hundred watts just idling with no load. Did I mention they run  hot and
lossy?
They were built with one thing in mind - maximum  cheapness.

It is a shame because they look so tempting to use. But for  all the work
and aggravation of trying to rebuild them, grinding off the  welds
across the
laminations, knocking out the magnetic shunts, possibly  adding turns to
the
primary, you might be much better off to just buy some  laminations and
build your own transformer. Plus you will learn something by  building
your own transformer and it is fun!
How about putting two transformers, with the primaries in series, and
the secondaries in parallel.
Or if need more use 4, two primaries in series, then in paralleled.
The whoole microwave is just too cheap to not use them; unless space,
etc is the object, not just price.  K 2 L B.