[Amps] 8122 op temp in NCL-2000 amp

Frank T Brady franktbrady at comcast.net
Sat Mar 14 07:12:41 PDT 2009

I operate SSB with my NCL-2000 only to chase 'new ones'.
While doing this on 17m I noticed that the top lid above the tubes was
awfully hot.
The high temperature persisted in SSB mode even if I wasn't transmitting.
SSB uses approx 2800v and idle current is 200 ma.
I put a digital thermometer on the lid above the tubes and recorded some
temps.

 80    Ambient (amp cold)
 87   Amp filaments only
 97   CW HV on
126   SSB HV on

The temperature was still rising slowly in the SSB case when I decided
to stop the test.
I haven't measured the SSB temp when transmitting periodically because
I'm afraid something might be amiss.
The fan seems to be moving a decent amount of air upward around the tubes.
Is there a way to determine if the SSB temp is normal?

Thanks and 73
frank w0ecs