[Amps] P/S upgrade

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Mar 17 05:07:23 PDT 2009

Ignoring the plate transformers efficiency, a variac having the same
ratings as the primary should have the same I*R losses. The bigger the
variac the less the losses and you can easily measure and calculate
that.

For long runs its often easier to use stepup/stepdown transformers to
reduce the drop. I have a 150' run to the garage that has a 5hp
compressor, welders and some machine tools, and a 250' run to an
equipment trailer at the base of the big tower that houses commercial
radios. I come out of the mains box in the house at 240V and go into a
5KVA 240/480 transformer (actually marked 220/440). Part way to the
trailer a branch goes to the garage and both sites have an identical
transformer. The runs are #8 and the voltage holds real steady. The
transformers came from a company I used to work for that was upgrading
and they were headed for the dumpster.

There are also 120 and 240 to 660V transformers available.

For the three AM KW amps the plate transformers are mostly old style
110V primaries, even the 7500VCT @ 1A CCS one. I found a few more
transformers a few years ago and for the 45-50' run I go 240/480 and
480/120 using #12. The sag is minimal and a couple of variacs are used.

Carl
KM1H