[Amps] HV smps

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Wed Mar 25 17:27:43 PDT 2009

hi amp builders,

This is definitely much more of a challenge than I first thought it was going to be.

http ://home.comcast.net/~kg7hf/PIC_0336. JPG

http ://home.comcast.net/~kg7hf/PIC_0337. JPG

The mosfets used in the h-bridge are supposed to be mounted to a heat sink.   I'm not sure how big of a heat sink it should be.   The pictures above show a possible layout, but I need more room for a filament transformer and a transformer to provide power to the switching power supply (that is almost ironic, you need a regular linear transformer to provide bias for the smps .)

At any rate the two black heat sinks in the top right 5.5" long by 3.5" tall x 0.75" fins.   The silver heat sink which looks like a Pentium processor is mounted to the primary bridge rectifier.   I

I would like to be able to mount all 4 mosfets from the h-bridge to one of those heat sinks and push it all the way over to the outside (top right) frame, then move the hv transformer, the round binocular cores to where the other is, next to the rf deck.

I'm still playing around with layout, but does anyone have any suggestions?   How about leaving the heat sinks off and mounting directly to the side  frame?

Thanks,

Paul, kg7hf