[Amps] TV Transmitters

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 11:43:55 PDT 2009

Lynn,

I've heard a few stations sold their tx to either LP stations that can
stay analog or more often stations outside the U.S. that are
continuing with analog for now.
A functioning TV broadcast tx is just too valuable in the used market
to be pieced out used to hams.  Don't hold me to this but there also
may be some sort of emergency backup analog requirement from FCC, but
not sure about that.  Anyway it's not like selling old iron AM
transmitters.

Now, when AM goes entirely digital (if it ever happens) that might get
interesting as more aux rigs might come on the market from the
remaining small stations.  Actually new s.s. AM bc rigs are not out of
this world expensive new, but they aren't flea market cheap either.  I
got a quote for the forthcoming new Sparta 100 w. s.s. AM bc rig for
$3000, that's less than a lot of HF ham rigs these days, and the
Sparta will sit there and tx a 100 w. cxr all day and night.
Of course you wouldn't want to fire it up on 160 as is -- 9.5 KHz sidebands.
73

rob / k5uj

<<<With the change to digital tv,  will we be seeing a lot of the old  analog
transmitters
showing up for sale?   Looks like a great source of parts down the road.>>>