[Amps] 'red' cores versus 43 cores

Alex Eban alexeban at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 03:50:43 PDT 2009

Hi Jim and all:
Like I said in the 1st paragraph, most high power HF transformers ARE wound
on ferrite cores. they employ transmission line based windings in which the
energy is coupled to the secondary by a different mechanism than flux link
coupling, which relies on the core. This goes as far as employing semi rigid
coax for the windings. We did it at Elisra for multi kilowatt transformers,
using a pair of 3 inches toroids! Even the use of tubing as the one turn
winding creates a section of coaxial line! There is very little flux leakage
into the core, as a percentage.
The binocular type of core lend itself to favorising transmission line by
ensuring close proximity of the primary and secondary windings, more so than
the more spread out prevalent with toroid transformers. This is why you find
them almost exclusively in high power modern modules!
I mentioned the lower tangent loss of the ferrites. What causes losses in
cores is primarily Hysteresis; ferrites have the lower values of loss due to
their squarer hysteresis curves.
Cores with high u and low bulk resistance get lossy very fast with
increasing frequency while  low u would negate their use at the low
frequency end.
BTW, the values of u I mentioned have been proved as optimal during 30 years
of amplifier design at Elisra and Tadiran in tens of thousands of modules at
the 500 watts level. You can't argue with facts!