[Amps] winding an HV transformer

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Mon Mar 30 20:14:23 PDT 2009

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.   I think you have interpreted my design correctly.   As I look at it more, I think you might be right, the h-bridge is fed 340 vdc which is switch through the load at alternate polarities (I think) which would mean as you say a square wave of 680 V.   I don't have the h-bridge constructed yet so I can't verify this.   If this is true, then I've made a huge error in the transformer.   I guess this is where I get tripped up.   If the h-bridge produces 680 volt pk-pk square wave, and that is fed to the step up transformer to produce 4080 v pk-pk, when the 4080 volts is fed to the bridge, I should get 4080 vdc with very little glitches in between the transition points of the square wave i.e. the negative portion of the square wave should be "flipped" to the positive side.   The filter cap should just smooth out those little transition (which should be like 100ns in my design).   I think that would mean the filtered DC should be just slightly under 4080 volts.

Even if I've got the h-bridge voltage wrong, does the above seem correct?

BTW, I think the other issues I was having making this make sense was because my scope was measuring pk-pk while my dvm was attempting to read rms but having problems at 100 khz .

thanks,

Paul