[Amps] filament transformers

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Fri May 15 13:54:58 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Fri, 15 May 2009 20:40:02 +0000 (UTC), Paul Decker
<kg7hf at comcast.net> wrote:

>So my questions are:    Is it acceptable to use the higher current rating in the single tube version of the amp?   Would current inrush be an issue?   Is the 3A version enough, should I get the 4A version or something even larger?  Or, is there something else I should be thinking about using?

REPLY:

The three amp version would be my choice, especially if you can place
it somewhere in the amp or power supply where it would get a small
amount of air flow around it.  I would place a rheostat in series with
the primary of the transformer to allow for exact voltage adjustment.
If you decide to use the rheostat, you might consider a slightly
higher secondary voltage such as 15 volts. That would give you more
options to choose from, more range of adjustment and might be cheaper
as well.

 Inrush current is not an issue with indirectly heated cathode tubes
as far as I know. Eimac makes no mention of it in the data sheet for
this tube.

73, Bill W6WRT