[Amps] first time questions

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Sat May 16 17:59:50 PDT 2009

Ulf,

To make the pi calculations, you should consider using the LOADED plate
voltage.  Idle plate voltage is not a factor.  The difference, however,
is not very much.  Maybe 10-20%...

And on #3, you are right.  The voltage and current are unimportant when
considered SEPERATELY.  Unfortunately, there is not very much emperical
data published on the Russian tubes so picking the optimal B+ is hard to
do.  Generally speaking, higher B+ is better as the efficiency and gain
is better.  But in my experience with the GI7b, at a certain voltage
point, the efficiency of the amp starts to drop.  At low B+, the PO is
fine - the trouble is the Ig gets high due to the low gain of the tube
at that lower B+.

73/jeff.ac0c