[Amps] Source wanted for HV switch-mode power supply

David Cutter d.cutter at ntlworld.com
Wed May 20 14:39:37 PDT 2009

If you haven't done a switcher with feedback before, I would stay with the
design as it is for the first run.  When you have the bugs out, then think
about feedback.  You will need more turns on the secondary because
inevitably you will run at less than 100%.  The problem then becomes one of
getting the inductor/capacitor combination in the output and the time
constants in the feedback loop to work in your favour.  The biggest problem
is not to stabilise at full load with lowest line input (if you are looking
for stability), but what happens when your load switches from max to min in
fast sequences, ie keying at various speeds and of course ssb.  What you are
then trying to avoid is some odd combination which sends the feedback loop
into instability and the output voltage swinging wildly out of control.

You may not need much in the way of stability anyway, after all, most high
voltage supplies for linear amplifiers are not stabilised and also have
considerable ripple.  The advantage of feedback control is that you can
reduce the large storage caps on the supply input by using feedback control.
That saves weight, space, cost.

If Manfred reads this, I hope he jumps in and gives you further advice.

73

David
G3UNA