[Amps] Centurion

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 18:35:57 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 27 May 2009 16:26:08 -0400, "Phil LaMarche"
<plamarc1 at verizon.net> wrote:

>I have a Ten Tec Centurion that is under a shelf with 3 inches of head room.
>Would I be well served to put a Rotron fan on the tube vents and pull the
>air out for better circulation?  Please!

REPLY:

I would perform an experiment. Set up the amp out in the open and
monitor the exhaust temperature with a simple oven thermometer. Run it
at the manufacturer's rated 100% key-down CW power until the
temperature stabilizes, probably about two or three minutes. I would
expect somewhere between 150-200 degrees F.  Then put it in the
confined space and do the same test. If the temp does not increase
more than a few degrees, you are good to go.

There is no hard and fast rule on this so let common sense be your
guide.

73, Bill W6WRT