[Amps] TL922 Power Plugs

Jim Carr n7fcf at hctc.com
Wed Nov 4 00:50:06 PST 2009

I got called out on a service call years ago to a mobile home that was
acting weird. It only had lights when the furnace came on and then very dim.
Turns out it was fed from a panel that somebody boot legged in with a fused
neutral. The fuse blew and the lights were completing the circuit through
the furnace elements. When the GFCI came out it was mandated by the federal
government. It took about three code changes (nine years) before the
manufacturers finally perfected a working one. But it was so sensative that
more than 20 feet of wire would trip it so the contractors used GFCI outlets
instead of breakers. They are still used almost exclusively in residential
wiring. But now days mostly due to cost. The way they work is by sensing the
current flowing on the hot leg and the neutral. If they are not equal then
the return path has found a secondary path, possibly you. Ground rods
only establish a ground potential at that point. The neutral is close to
that potential at the service main. depending on soil conductivity there can
be quite a difference as you get out from the service main. I burned the
gimmlet off a ship bit 35 years ago when i touched a cast iron sewer stack
with it. There was nothing wrong with the drill, cords or the service. I was
a 120 feet out and the measured difference between the equipment ground in
the cord and the pipe was 103 volts. Now days most good contractors use
spider boxes out on the project with GFCI outlets in them.
Jim
N7FCF