[Amps] HV ripple voltage

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Nov 7 20:10:16 PST 2009

Carl wrote:

>> If the no load voltage for a 3cx800A7 amplifier's power supply is 2500 V,
>> while the fully loaded voltage is 2100 V @ 1A, is that "good"? Is it good
>> enough?
>>

> Its better than a SB-220 and about the same as many other amps. A 10%
> regulation is considered the benchmark but its seldom met when pricing
> competition is stiff. On SSB with a 30% duty cycle (no processor) the
> dynamic regulation will be much better.

If building I prefer better, but that's about the kind of regulation on
most of my amps.  It's an area of rapidly diminishing returns. More
iron, more copper, more capacity, and lots more money for an increase
most would never notice in operation.
> If that is 8 @ 330uF that gives a 41uF filter which is very good. I dont
> have the books open (heading to bed) but that should give you around 1-2%
> ripple. Heath, Alpha, Ameritron, etc use  less C. The effect is linear;
> double the C and the ripple is cut in half.
>
> Carl
> KM1H zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bed?  Carl, 10:50 is nigh onto the middle of the afternoon.  <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)