[Amps] PSU design question

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Sun Nov 8 00:19:46 PST 2009

Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> [...]

I could be more persuaded by your earlier message which took the
opposite view, that the resistor is not needed at all.

But we are all in danger of focusing on one small part of the circuit
without looking at the overall design philosophy for arc protection.  I
use the normal well-established techniques, many of them learned over
the years from this group.

1.  Surge limiting resistor in the B+ line [Eimac Bulletin 17]. This is
vital, to set a maximum value for the current that could flow in the
event of a crowbar short, tube arc etc. The resistor gives truly
instantaneous current limiting, for the first few milliseconds until the
HV supply shuts down in step 3.

2. Diode protection for the meters. Full scale on the grid and anode
meters is just below the conduction threshold of the diodes (negligible
current flows below 0.5V) so any overload is well clamped and won't
damage the meter. [I believe this one came from Rich Measures.]

3. A fast anode current sensor which controls a relay in the HV
transformer primary. [Various sources, going back to at least the
1930s.]

Of course it's possible to go further than this, but in practice this
level of protection is good enough for most kinds of tubes. In my own
test-bed amplifier (GS35b, 3.5kV), a crowbar short inside the anode
compartment shuts down the HV supply with a quiet click, and most times
it doesn't even blow a mains fuse. Press a reset button and the amp is
back on-air.

Seen in that wider context, an additional shunt resistor on the B-minus
line is a very small detail. Most integrated desktop amplifiers don't
have it and don't need it, because the B-minus line is permanently
connected to the protection diodes.

With a separate HV PSU, my first line of protection is a multi-pole
connector that prevents the mains relay from being energized unless the
PSU also has its ground connection and B-minus return.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek